Friday, November 7, 2008

Moving

Last night I watched The Sandlot before heading off to the dreaded three hour bore of Energy Policy. At least now we are talking about renewables and greenhouse emissions. There was a few things I noticed about The Sandlot that were interesting. First, I totally forgot that the boys threw in some chewing tobacco before going on the carnival ride. That is hilarious. I also noticed that the kid's mom is the woman from Indiana Jones (1 and 4). And his dad is Dennis Leary! Finally, I seem to always notice that the way the dog is portrayed as a monster is hilarious. Because, in the end, he is just a big dog that could probably be fended off. It's funny when they show his paw or him jumping over the fence looking like a 400 pound monster.

After Presidential elections I always hear people talking about moving out of the country. Actually I heard that a lot - before the results of this election. It doesn't matter if a Republican or a Democrat gets elected, people 'threaten' to move away. I rarely see anyone actually do it, although I did meet a girl this summer abroad that had after the 2004 election. Sure Europe is great, but are things (or will they get) really that bad here in the States? I presume the current fears are of increased taxes - which won't actually effect most of us - or the 'socialization' of America. The last time I checked the stakeholding in AIG and the 'socialization' of Wall Street came under President Bush's direction. Ultimately this all doesn't matter. All that we know and appreciate of this country will survive. Presidents change. Policies change. Attitudes and beliefs change. In the end the basic principles set up by our founding fathers remain the base of this country: life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

While traveling around the world I appreciate things about many countries, but I end up loving everything that we have here. Furthermore, the rest of the world wants to come to America. Although this country is unfamiliar to them, they still see how great it is. No matter who the President is.

Links of the Day:
fivethirtyeight
Insane People

1 comment:

Paul said...

Chewing tobacco, tasty.

I agree, many people are afraid of "socialization" under obama, but it has already happened.

We live in a great country. Well written blog entry Chad.