Thursday, January 8, 2009

More Often Than Not

Well it certainly has been a busy week and a half. But probably not too busy to skip the blog altogether, like I have done. 

I drove out to Phoenix for New Years and had a glorious time with the Maller/Isbell clan. Free golf and meals was a very nice treat to tack on to the incredibly inexpensive drive out there. For some reason my car was getting 40mpg, and on the way back I was only halfway done with my tank and already at 300 miles.

As soon as I got home I decided to shave the disgusting mustache (beard) I had grown over the past two weeks. I'm sure Kristin's parents as well as their friends didn't approve of my hobo/transient/vagrant/bum look, and I regret not shaving it before the trip. Once they got to know me though, they soon understood my character. 

The Garmin I got for Christmas was a wonderful companion and statistician for the trip, and I am now truly grateful for owning it. Also, props to Arizona for having a 75mph speed limit! Radi-cool!

I always thought that when people referred to the 'Mexicans' standing outside Home Depot, that it was just a joke. However, when I stopped by to get a garage door remote, I did indeed notice probably 50-60 'Mexicans' waiting for work on both sides of the street. Perhaps because the contracting industry is slow, along with the economy, but there seemed to be a great amount of them just waiting around. And this was mid-day. 

Monday marked the beginning of a seven week affair with the bar review course. So far I have been pretty impressed with how they can pack a semester's worth of material into four hours. The program that they have us doing after class is quite demanding, but I know that they are the best in the biz and if I stick to their plan, I will pass. Six to eight hours outside of class means 10-12 hours a day of preparing for the bar. This is going to be a long seven weeks. 

No comments: