Friday, March 27, 2009

All For One, One For All

I'm probably going to get shit for writing this post, but this is something that has been on my mind for a long time. If I could live in any time period, it would definitely be the 1800s. I personally would love to be an explorer, discovering new lands. Another attractive feature of this era is the trading system. I like that someone would craft a good or provide a service in exchange for the same. Sure, there was also paper currency but for the most time transactions occurred on a trading system. The key to the system was that you were providing something - either a good or a service - to someone else. 

In our modern world, there are a few categories of income-earning that have completely abandoned from this system: real estate agents, online gamblers and stock traders. Arguments can be made that real estate agents and stock traders are
 indeed providing a service, but I question the necessity of such a service. Now when I say stock traders I am not talking about those involved with furthering individual's investments or public establishment of a corporation. I am talking about day-traders. These individuals are solely concerned with themselves, trying to earn money each day. They are not providing anything of value to the rest of society. 
As for real estate agents, I have always thought that middle-man jobs are completely pointless. I mean, if we follow this to its logical conclusion, soon enough there will be people out there to to towel me off out of the shower or put my shoes on for me. While these latter individuals are actually providing a service, real estate agents are merely listing your property - and then taking a percent of either the buyer or seller's money. I think this was perfectly highlighted on an episode of Friday Night Lights a few weeks ago when the Dillon boys turned a house and decided to sell it themselves rather than let the agent take 6%. Why should an agent be entitled to any significant amount of money for providing such a mediocre service? I understand that some agents provide reputation and widespread dissemination, but I still think they should not be entitled to any percentage of a real property sale. 

Finally, online gambling is perhaps the most selfish of them all. There is no argument that they are providing anything of value to society. You can't even say they are contributing to the economy, as most of the online sites are off-shore. I'm not talking about those individuals who occasionally play poker or make sports bets. I am talking about the people who do it for a living. They might be making great money, but what are they doing for the rest of society?  How is our society going to advance when people are sitting on the sidelines and not contributing?

1 comment:

Paul said...

When a bad real estate market is mentioned on a show like Friday Night Lights (which I greatly enjoy), that probably means the market has bottomed.