Monday, March 23, 2009

Competition (Market not Sport)

The ideal of capitalism seems to make sense: work hard and you will prosper. I wish it was this simple. However, the system is not always fair. Some people work hard and they will never prosper. Other people do not work hard and they do prosper. Look at the executives at all the failing corporations out there - do they deserve the salary and bonuses that have been given to them? I'm not sure that having the government regulate such matters is the right answer, but when humans are inherently selfish and self-serving, one begins to lose faith in the individual - which means individuals running corporations

I noticed that Santana's has recently opened a new restaurant at the corner of West Mission Bay Drive and Mission Boulevard (where Jack in the Box used to be). It looks like they have upgraded the facilities and the parking lot dramatically. Most notably, the restaurant sits kitty corner (actually its across the street I just wanted to say kitty corner) from Roberto's (or Regret-o's as some of us call it). This inevitably will put Roberto's out of business, as Santana's is far superior. 

I think Santana's gained in popularity, beyond word of mouth, was through The Real World: San Diego. They used to always go to Santana's and would rave about it on the show. By the way, two things I also noticed about Santana's: First, I remember that I heard how impossible it was to eat an entire California burrito - yet I don't remember not finishing an entire burrito. Maybe I am a beast. Second, I remember that California burritos were $3.75, whereas now they are $5. That is almost a quarter a year increase. However, as competition dictates, they can charge that much when they are the best in the biz. 

If you have extra time this week, I suggest watching the 60 Minutes episode from last night. You can watch it online at cbs.com. The first part regarding President Obama is interesting enough, but the second part about the true story behind the movie The Soloist is worth watching. 

3 comments:

Paul said...

I ALWAYS REMEMBER THE BEST DEAL AT SANTANA'S WAS THE CARNE ASADA FRIES.

WHO CARES ABOUT THE SOLOIST WHEN FAST AND FURIOUS COMES OUT IN LESS THAN 2 WEEKS?!?!?!?!

Eric said...

You're the best in the biz Dale.

Eric said...

Wait. So if Jack in the Box is not there, where will all the homeless people congregate??!!