Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Odyssey/Ulysses (Days 2&3)

I decided to take control of my road trip and try to make it to Zion National Park in Utah. I originally had planned to go to Zion but the logistics of where to stay at night were troublesome. So I changed my plan to just go down to the Grand Canyon and spend two days there, until I decided to take the risk. 

Although I am very glad that I went to Zion, the hotel situation did turn o
ut to be troublesome. Zion was amazing and I highly recommend it to anyone who loves the outdoors. Fortunately the park bus is not in service during the winter, so I got to drive my car quickly to the different sites and trailheads. After spending 4-5 hours in the park, my Garmin device had plotted a route through south-eastern Utah that was probably the quickest. Yet I wisely decided to take the scenic route through the northern Arizona area. The drive was beautiful, reminding me of central Oregon with snow in the high desert. 


As nightfall came I found myself searching for a city to spend the night in. The only city that I could find was Tuba City, Arizona, which was about an hour from the Grand Canyon. I spotted a Quality Inn sign but wanted to keep looking so that I would not suffer monopoly prices. I found a local inn but after closer inspection I didn't want to end up on The Hills Have Eyes 3. So I drove down the unpaved city streets and ended up at the Quality Inn (which did have monopoly prices). My dinner options did not fare any better: Taco Bell or McDonalds. Inside the hotel I noticed a flag I had never seen before: the Navajo Nation. Alongside it was a picture of their President. It turns out that Tuba City was on the Navajo Reservation. 

My hotel room was quite interesting, as I think it was a handicap room. The only problem was that it was on the second floor and there was no elevator in the building. The next morning I awoke to a cow outside my window. I looked out and saw a random cow grazing in the center courtyard of the hotel. And with that, I was on my way to seeing the Grand Canyon for the first time!

Although staying in Tuba City was not all that I had hoped it would be, it did give me the opportunity to drive into the park from the east. The western-route along the south rim was not very crowded, as most tourists just head to the main visitor center. The Grand Canyon was pretty much what I expected it to be, which was amazing. No matter how big or deep you think it is, it is mind boggling how huge it is. 

I decided to hike the South Kaibab trail, which runs along a ridge rather than switch-backing down the canyon. I hiked down maybe 1500 feet (about 1/3 of the canyon) and back up to the top in around 4 hours. Hiking down the ride game me the opportunity to see both east and west, rather than being bound by the switchbacks. If I had more time in the park I probably would hike all the way down, camp for the night, then cross the river to the north rim. But for now I am most happy with my solo journey. 

No comments: