Friday, September 19, 2008

Aromas

Well the U.S. government just bailed us out. The markets look stable. I'm glad we can keep printing more money - only to make it worthless compared with other currency. Actually I do think this is a good thing - consider the situation if the entire market crashed.

So I have heard some interesting conversations around campus this last week. One that I remember were some kids in the bookstore talking about their area of studies, specifically, whether to 'minor' or not. When one student said he would be double majoring, the other said they were thinking about having two minors. What??? Later I heard two girls in the deli discussing how 'confusing' the trolley system is. You mean the three different lines that go a possibility of two directions each?

In direct correlation (to diminishing intellectual capacity) is an article I read in the Atlantic Monthly, entitled "Is Google making us stupid?" Although the availability of getting information (without our brains having to retain it) so easily might make Google a culprit, the article was aimed at how much of our time (and brains) is rotted away because of the Internet. My class of 2012 experience might be a perfect example of this hypothesis.

I did see Burn after Reading last night. Definitely entertaining. Brad Pitt ("Chad") was very good. The movie was a little short, running only around 90 minutes. I think I've been watching too much Lost, as I tried to analyze every conversation and detail. Not really necessary to enjoy this film.

Links of the day:
U.S. Courts
Don't hear much about Cuba being hit by the hurricanes...

2 comments:

Paul said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paul said...

speaking of movies:
"...the fourth sequel to 2001's "The Fast and the Furious," and now Variety reports that he's in talks to reprise his role as Xander Cage in a third installment of "XXX." This one has the imaginative, if tentative, title: "XXX: The Return of Xander Cage."

Needless to say, I am very excited about this. The first one was a classic, second was awful, and third one (tokyo drift), was pretty good (vin made a cameo and they had good replacement actors).